commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Remove optimizer from constructor of "CurveFitter" subclasses (MATH-1014)
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:13:19 GMT
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 04:27:11 +0200, Gilles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Please have a look at
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1014
>
> In summary, this is an API change (in line with the fluent API
> proposed for the optimizers); but usage is simplified:
>
> [...]

As a further simplification, I also wonder whether the capability
to provide an initial guess (cf. method "withStartPoint" in class
"GaussianCurveFitter") should not be removed from specific fitters
that provide automatic guessing (as this procedure should embody
the best possible guess given the input data). Indeed a too "crude"
guess might confuse the optimizer (and thus the users, leading to
unnecessary bug reports).

Regards,
Gilles