commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool] 2.0 factory interfaces WAS: Re: svn commit: r1506685 - in /commons/proper/pool/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/pool2/ main/java/org/apache/commons/pool2/impl/ test/java/org/apache/commons/pool2/ test/java/org/apache/commons/pool2/impl/ test/java/org/apache/commons/pool2/perfo...
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:15:52 GMT
On 7/30/13 9:16 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> I have started working on this.  Should have something to commit at
> least for GOP in the next day or two.

I am stuck on SoftReferenceObectPool.  I have been able to handle
everything else collapsing down to just Pooled(Keyed)ObjectFactory /
Base(Keyed)ObjectPool.  To stick with (and get factory / monitoring
benefits of) PooledObjectFactory / PooledObjects, I need to create a
version of DefaultPooledObject that wraps SoftReferences and these
have to be mutable - i.e., when an instance is returned a new soft
reference is created and stored in the pool, but we want to maintain
PooledObject state.  To do this, I need to be able to recognize the
returning object.  I could do this by searching the pool, but that
will cost something.  On the other hand, the lack of search now
means returnObject is not idempotent (like it is in the rest of the
2.0 pools).  Multiple returns will put multiple soft references to
the same object in the pool.

So, I would appreciate some feedback on the following options:

1) Add a search for the returning object and create a
PooledSoftReference subclass of DefaultPooledObject within
SoftReferencePool to be stored in the pool.

2) Keep PoolableObjectFactory just for this pool and leave it alone,
adding a warning to returnObject (not a new issue, just different
from other 2.0 pools).

Phil

> Phil
>
> On 7/29/13 10:56 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:

than Object instances and switch Gop and GKOP to use them.