commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Cleaning up the curve fitters
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2013 21:28:17 GMT
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 06:45:10 -0700, Ajo Fod wrote:

> [...]
>
> If you want to pose what I and the community see as a respectable
> objection
> to including a commit, it needs to be in the form of :
> 1. alternative code that demonstrates a superior way of doing
> improper
> integration. With unit tests that show how it is faster or more
> accurate.
> 2. OR failures of the the submitted patch in a JUnit test.
>
> Otherwise, I maintain that the hurdle of convincing you of the
> correctness/optimality of a solution is way too high for anyone's
> good ...
> including yours.

I admire your insistance. :-)
So, I'll try once more to get "my" point through.

A good library must avoid code duplication.
Although
  * change of variables,
  * improper integrals,
  * adaptive algorithms
are all useful features for use in numerical estimation of integrals, I
think that CM must not include a code like your patch, because it
provides
all of them bundled in a way that
  1. does not reuse the existing code, and
  2. does not allow to be reused (within CM or by CM users).

I stated that much from the outset; and that we could work _together_
fulfill this requirement (and others along the way).

> Once the "ability to do improper integration" is in CM,  you can
> always
> mend/improve the patch. Its not like you've never integrated a class
> or
> moved it around c.f MATH-827.

Who is "you"?
That's the problem.

Had you taken the route which I suggested, most roadblocks would have
disappeared "automagically".[1]

Regards,
Gilles

[1] Phil's too, probably, because code reuse places a big part of the
     burden (e.g. of numerical analysis in this instance) on the reused
     building blocks!