commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ajo Fod <ajo....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] new feature to allow infinite limits in numerical integration.
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:43:22 GMT
As I read through the Wikipedia articles on Gauss-Hermite and Laguerre, I
notice that they are talking about basis functions with infinity/s in its
domain.  How would this would solve the problem addressed in the  MATH-994
which is to restrict the bounds of the function being integrated so that
numerical integration is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss-Hermite_quadraturehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss-Laguerre_quadrature

In any case,  MATH-994 is a working solution to a major class of
integration problems. A solution that passes the unit tests in the
example is quite desirable.

So, I think the commons would be better of with modifications to
MATH-994 to confirm to the design philosophy than say postponing a
more complex integration scheme is available. The code can always be
deprecated once a better implementation is available. (You don't have
to do it on my account, I already have what I need.)

Cheers,

-Ajo.