commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Detecting LZMA standalone files
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:02:41 GMT
> We could do something similar by placing the LZMA check at the end in
> the CompressorStreamFactory's autodetect method and perform the same
> plausibility checks on the input.  This would still run the risk of
> false positives and - maybe less likely - false negatives.  Do we want
> to do something like this?

And then comes along yet another compression format that has no
intention of providing a header.
Which one would go first then?

I think the contract of the factory is to "detect the stream if possible".
If there is no definite way of detecting a stream then let's document
and don't bother.

Of course we could be user friendly and add the heuristic but that's
like opening a can of worms.

My 2 cents

cheers,
Torsten