commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Detecting LZMA standalone files
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:10:49 GMT
On 2013-06-10, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> The problem is not unique to LZMA, and since LZMA can contain almost
> any bytes at the beginning, it could also be misdetected as another
> compression format.

Right, that's why I suggested to put LZMA detection at the end, if at
all.

> If we can't autodetect all compression formats from the file contents,
> then shouldn't we only try to autodetect them from the file extension
> or MIME type? Or not do autodetection at all?

The current API doesn't let us see MIME types or extension.  No
autodetection at is what the current code inside the LZMA branch does.
We don't have to change it if "only use LZMA if you know what you do" is
the best option.

Stefan