commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Strategy for developer tools (was: [VOTE] Commons Staging Plugin - move to proper from sandbox)
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:26:23 GMT
On 22/06/2013 14:45, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I'm for whatever does the RM process easier and less error prone. If
> that means maven plugins, so be it.

This is written as someone who has never released a commons component
and is very grateful for the folks that have done the release work for
the components he has been involved in.

I see various messages indicating how hard / complex / tricky / easy to
get wrong doing a release is. The frequency of the messages does not
appear to have changed significantly over time and they have been sent
but both newcomers to the project and folks that were here long before I
was.

I can't help but think that we must be doing something wrong. The Tomcat
release process is a breeze. It takes me about 2 minutes actual work. It
takes longer to upload the release artifacts for voting. And I spend
even longer making sure I am happy with what I am about to tag.

The obvious difference is that Tomcat is primarily an Ant based release
process with a little bit of Maven to talk to Nexus whereas the Commons
releases are primarily (wholly?) Maven based. However, I can't believe
that this is a tools issue. If everyone found Maven this hard to release
software with, no-one would be using it and it is clearly popular. That
begs the question: what are we doing wrong? Why do releases appear to be
much more difficult than they should be?

I don't have answers neither do I have the Maven knowledge I suspect is
necessary to figure the answers out. I encourage those that do have the
Maven skills to put on their thinking caps.

Mark