commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Cobertura and Parent POM
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 18:03:13 GMT
On 9 May 2013 18:28, Luc Maisonobe <luc@spaceroots.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Le 08/05/2013 22:46, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>>

>> Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> a écrit :

>>> Which I from running "mvn clean site".
>
> I found the problem.
> What happened is that in [io] you override the command line arguments
> while running tests in the maven-surefire-plugin. JaCoCo also overrides
> them to add an agent that will observe tests runs.
>
> In order to be able to merge both settings (the [io] settings which
> change the max memory using option -Xmx and the complex JaCoCo setting),
> then you need to change in [io] pom.xml the maven-surefire-plugin
> configuration from:
>
>         <configuration>
>           <forkMode>pertest</forkMode>
>           <!-- limit memory size see IO-161 -->
>           <argLine>-Xmx25M</argLine>
>         </configuration>
>
> to:
>
>         <configuration>
>           <forkMode>pertest</forkMode>
>           <!-- limit memory size see IO-161 -->
>           <!-- the ${argLine} preserves jacoco agent settings (see
> https://github.com/jacoco/eclemma/issues/22) -->
>           <argLine>-Xmx25M ${argLine}</argLine>
>         </configuration>
>
> I have added some documentation about this in both the release notes and
> the pom itself.
>

> Another implication of the switch to JaCoCo is that tests must be run
> using Java 1.5 at least (of course, this does not imply the component
> code must be Java 5, only, it can still target an older version). Is
> this a problem?

That is a problem.
For components that target 1.4 or earlier it is vital that they can be
compiled/tested using the relevant Java version, as well as using more
recent JVMs.

Running with earlier JVMs is achieved by using a profile, so maybe
unsuitable profiles can be detected and used to disable JaCoCo for
that run.

So the site build would need to be done using Java 1.5+, but
individual builds/tests (and potentially CI builds) could still use
older JVMs.

> I think several other plugin also need Java 5, but I
> don't know for sure.

In general Maven needs Java 1.5+, but the compile/test phases can
still currently be done using an earlier JVM by using the profile
mechanism.

> Luc
>

>> Perhaps should you try "mvn clean test site"?
>>
>> I did not run clean before running site, so I may have kept some files you miss?
>>
>> Luc
>>

>>> Gary

>>> <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>

>>> the