commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject [CSV] CSV-58 is killing me
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 07:53:11 GMT
Hi,

I have tried to solve CSV-58 - Escape handling needs rethinking [1] a few
times over the past weeks now. But I can not see a way to get this working.
There are two problems with our current implementation:

1. a sequence of " test \a test" will be parsed to "test a test", although
there is no reason to escape 'a'. The expected behavior is to let the
sequence \a unchanged.
2. If the escape char is different from backslash (for example '!'), a
sequence of "test !r test" will be parsed to "test CR test"

I have tried different approaches to handle this issue but there are always
corner cases that I'm unable to cover. I'm getting the feeling that I'm
just to dump to solve this, so any comments or suggestions would be really
appreciated!

Benedikt
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CSV-58

--