commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [compress] LZMA (was Re: 7zip)
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 15:10:30 GMT
On 2013-05-12, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>>> As for LZMA compression, the required code in XZ for Java's lzma
>>> subpackage doesn't lend itself to streaming support but it may be
>>> possible to leverage it anyway.

>> I am looking into that now.

> With some hacks to its constructor and read() method, I've just gotten
> XZ's LZMA2InputStream to decompress an LZMA file. The remaining
> problems and requirements for streaming support are:

Hmm, I start to feel we should try to get Lasse involved here rather
than fight against the API.  Even if he seems to be quite reluctant to
add explicit support for LZMA (not LZMA2) in XZ for Java he may at least
be able to give us some hints.

Lasse, are you still lurking on this list?

I'd be perfectly fine with read-only LZMA support, even if we wanted to
write 7zip files later - IIUC we can use LZMA2 in 7zip we'd write and
existing implementations should be able to read it.

Stefan