commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@scalaris.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.15
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 13:30:10 GMT
Hi Mladen,

Mladen Turk wrote:

> On 04/02/2013 09:49 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Mladen Turk wrote:

>>> mvn -DbuildNumber=1234 -DscmBranch=54678  ...
>>>
>>> It doesn't show a thing. I can put there whatever I like anyhow.
>>
>> The build-helper plugin sets the properties automatically gathering the
>> info from a checkout. It is not meant to be set manually.
>>

> Anyhow, IMO this metadata is useless.
> For example my company (and vast majority of other vendors) use source
> .tar.gz and produces .jar (and signs it for security purposes)
> This is obviously not done using SVN so we always have a UNKNOWN SCM tag
> inside manifest. Of course this is usually handled by invoking
> mvn -Prelease -Dimplementation.build="`date -R`" ...
>
> As you can see, makes no sense to have something if its easily overridden,
> particularly if someone thinks this is some kind of proof the binaries
> were build from some particular branch or tag.

Which is a valid assumption using Maven and the build-number plugin, since
in Maven it is all about convention.

If we simply talk about creating that jar, I can alternatively use simply
javac.exe, a text editor of my choice for the manifest and jar.exe to
produce it. So the possibility to "overrride" the build process is IMHO not
a valid argument.

As RM you're absolutely free to cut a release without the build number, but
don't expect me any longer to give a positive vote. Just my 2¢.

- Jörg