commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [collections] beta release - howto
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:01:44 GMT
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:47:15 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 29 April 2013 21:49, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:56:02 +0100, sebb wrote:

>>> for
>>> developer use only.
>>>

>> ???
>> Developers build from source; they don't need the snapshots.
>>

> Not necessarily; they may be developing an app that depends on
> Commons.
> Why should they have to additionally set up their system to build a
> Commons
> component?
> Their system might not use Maven.

If someone doesn't develop a Commons component, he is not in the
"developer"
category for that component.
If his app _uses_ a Commons component, he is a "user" of that
component.
This kind of users should indeed be encouraged to test snapshots, and
report
problems _before_ an official release is made.

> Regardless, snapshots are not for the general public.

What is the "general public" here?
An application's user (someone who just _runs_ an application that uses
Commons component) does not belong in the "user" category as intended
here.

Regards,
Gilles