commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PMC] Alpha Binaries Release Policy (was Re: [collections] beta release - howto)
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:28:54 GMT
On 30 April 2013 16:59, Honton, Charles <Charles_Honton@intuit.com> wrote:

> Is there any policy concern with publishing the binaries of alpha
> releases, after vote, to a Apache snapshot repository which is not
> replicated to Maven Central?

Not sure that question makes sense as posed.

If a build is voted on, it is a release, and is not a snapshot.
AFAIK snapshots are never voted on so cannot become releases.

Snapshots can be uploaded to a snaphot repo without needing a vote.

Snapshots can (*) only be uploaded to snapshot repos; they cannot be
uploaded to release repos.
AFAIK the reverse is also true, releases are never uploaded to snapshot
repos.

Note that the entries in a snapshot repo can be deleted/replaced at any
time.

(*) Before Nexus, accidents happened and some snapshots were incorrectly
uploaded. This can cause "version hell" (cf. "jar hell").

Chas