commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] release instructions warning
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:03:54 GMT
On 23 April 2013 15:39, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2013-04-23, sebb wrote:
>
> > As to the (non-Maven) tarballs: another approach would be to create them
> in
> > Nexus as per usual, but move them (copy/delete) to the svnpubsub staging
> > area [1] before the vote starts.
>
> > It would make the reviewers job slighly harder - one extra URL to
> download
> > and check - but there would then be no need to adjust either staging area
> > after the vote.
> > So any mistakes would have fewer consequences.
>
> This is exactly what
> <
> https://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html#Create_the_Release_Candidate
> >
> suggests :-)

Yes, I see.

I think we need a link from that document to the next stage - publishing
the release.
I'll see about adding that later.

It might also be useful to have a section on how to respin a release vote
if it fails - what needs to be deleted and when etc.

As to the following comment:

"*If anybody knows how we can avoid uploading the distributions, please
lend a hand. The manual step is not only annoying, uploading the files also
wastes time and bandwidth."*

Yes, the manual stages are annoying, but at least the process generates all
the required files, even if they are not all uploaded to the correct place.
It's easy enough to avoid uploading the tarballs - just detach them from
the relevant Maven phase - but then Maven does not create the hashes or the
sigs.

So there are some possibilities:
- stick with the full Nexus upload, and find a way to automate the move of
the files from Nexus to dist/dev staging
- exclude the tarballs from Nexus, and update the build procedures to
create the sigs and hashes; also automate upload to dist/dev staging
- have Nexus publish the tarballs and Maven artifacts to the correct
places. I raised a JIRA [1] about this, but unfortunately it got nowhere.

Stefan