commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gredler" <dgred...@dhlglobalmail.com>
Subject [csv] user feedback
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 21:42:30 GMT
Hi guys,

I just went through an exercise where I was experimenting with the
current Commons CSV snapshot, to see how it might fit into some existing
code where we build CSV files manually. All of the code involved
creating CSV files, not reading them. Some thoughts:

- It's very nice that CSVPrinter.print(Object) now takes an Object
instead of a String.

- The javadoc for CSVPrinter.print(Object) seems to correspond to the
old version of the method ("Prints the string as the next value on the
line").

- Using CSVPrinter to build CSV content in-memory is a little annoying,
because you have to catch IOExceptions that you know will never be
thrown; an earlier version of the library didn't throw them.

- Calling CSVPrinter.print(null) prints the text "null" in the CSV file;
this seems wrong to me (I expected empty values), but maybe there are
use cases where "null" is correct?

- I hope you guys get a non-snapshot release out soon! ;-)

Take care,

Daniel