commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] fluent/builder API for algorithms in 4.0 ?
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:28:39 GMT
On 4/29/13 9:40 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> [...]
>       l.add(c);
>       return new TheOptimizer(..., maxIter, l);
>     }
>
>     public TheOptimizer withMaxIter(int maxIter m) {
>       return new TheOptimizer(..., m, constraints);
>     }
>
>  }
>
> So basically, the withXxx are sort-of setters, but they do preserve
> immutability (we do not return this, we return a new object). It is easy
> to add features to existing classes and there is no need to shove
> everythin within a single hierarchy, we have a forest, not a tree. When
> looking at the API, users clearly see what the can use and what they
> cannot use: if an optimizer does not support constraint, there will be
> no way to put a constraint into it. If in a later version constraints
> become available, the existing functions will not be changed, only new
> functions will appear.
>
> Of course, this creates a bunch of intermediate objects, but they are
> often quite small and the setting part is not the most
> computation-intensive one. It becomes also possible to do some
> parametric studies on some features, using code like:
>
>   Algorithm core = new Algorithm().withA(a).withB(b).withC(c);
>   for (double d = 0.0; d < 1.0; d += 0.001) {
>     Algorithm dSpecial = core.withD(d);
>     double result = dSpecial.run();
>     System.out.println(" d = " + d + ", result = " + result);
>   }
>
> This would work for someone considering feature A is a core feature that
> should be fixed but feature D is a parameter, but this would equally
> well work for someone considering the opposite case: they will simply
> write the loop the other way, the call to withD being outside of the
> loop and the call to withA being insided the loop.
>
> A side effect is also that it becomes possible to copy safely algorithms
> by just resetting a feature, even when we don't really know what
> implementation we have. A typical example I have that creates problems
> to me is duplicating an ODE solver. It cannot be done currently, as some
> specific elements are required at construction time that depend on the
> exact type of solver you use (tolerance vectors for adaptive stepsize
> integrators). So if for example I want to do some Monte-Carlo analysis
> in parallel and need to duplicate an integrator,
> I would do it as follows:
>
>   void FirstOrderIntegrator[]
>       duplicate(FirstOrderIntegrator integrator, int n) {
>     FirstOrderIntegrator copies = new FirstOrderIntegrator[n];
>     for (int i = 0; i < n; ++i) {
>       copies[i] =
>         integrator.withMaxEvaluations(integrator.getMaxEvaluations());
>     }
>     return copies;
>   }
>
> This kind of API could be extended to several algorithms, so it may be
> set up in a consistend way accross the library. As I wrote at the
> beginning of this message, I first think about root solvers, optimizers

I don't have experience implementing this pattern, so don't know
what best practices / pitfalls there may be.  IIRC, what you are
getting is formal immutability and more compact code due to withXxx
inline instead of setXxx at the expense of lots of extra instance
creation.  I guess the latter is not something to worry much about
in today's world.  We just have to be careful with the pattern in
the cases where constructors actually do something.  What is not
crystal clear to me is what exactly you get in flexibility beyond
what you would get just adding setters ad hoc (as the withXxx stuff
effectively does).  It is interesting as well to consider the
reasons that we favor immutability and whether or not this approach
actually improves anything (e.g., concurrency: yes, helps; path /
state complexity: not so much).

Phil