commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Vandahl ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] beta release - howto
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 06:49:24 GMT
On 30.04.2013 00:01, Gilles wrote:
> If someone doesn't develop a Commons component, he is not in the
> "developer"
> category for that component.
> If his app _uses_ a Commons component, he is a "user" of that component.
> This kind of users should indeed be encouraged to test snapshots, and
> report
> problems _before_ an official release is made.

I completely agree with you. Looking at the Commons components, all
"users" are also "developers" one way or another, as the components are
merley libraries, not applications.

 From what I understand of the Maven idea, snapshots are *the* way
binaries can be distributed for testing - including separate storage in
a separate repository. The whole repository infrastructure was made for
this. The snapshot status carries the clear message that this binary is
not for production use and can change its API anytime. So why not use this?

Bye, Thomas.