commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [collections] beta release - howto
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:36:36 GMT
On 04/29/2013 11:02 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 29 April 2013 09:42, Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidhart@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I certainly *want* to change the API if something is broken, so I
>> guess an alpha release would be safer.
>> I could imagine doing a first alpha till next week, and postpone some
>> changes to an alpha2 release, as I will need a bit more time to work on the
>> Trie interface and maybe add a fluent API for iterators (see
>> COLLECTIONS-442).
>>

> I think it would be useful to ensure that all generics warnings are fixed -
> including test code - before any release.
> That's one way of ensuring that the API is reasonable - users should not
> have to ignore generics warnings.

Afaik there are not many generics warnings left in the src folder, but
we should fix them of course.

> Also the non-private mutable fields should have getters.
> Ideally no setters, as they make thorough testing much harder, though
> that's not always possible.
>
> I'm willing to convert the fields to private if that would suit you
> (COLLECTIONS-455)

I have looked a bit at the list, and I am not sure if all of them need
to be converted, e.g. in SynchronizedCollection the fields in question
are already final, but please go ahead.

> I may also have time to fix some generics warnings in the test code.

That would be great.

btw. it would also be of great help if somebody could take a look at the
site docs.

Thomas