commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.15
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 15:25:46 GMT
On 04/02/2013 05:06 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> And BTW, build number can use multiple sources and its primary usage
>> is with continuous integration. Our release version is build number in
>> this case.
>
> We configured the build to take it from the current svn number to reflect
> the unique state of the repository. An entry like
>
> =========== %< =============
> Implementation-Build: UNKNOWN_BRANCH@r??????; 2013-03-28 13:53:43+0100
> =========== %< =============
>
> will give the immediate impression, that something did go wrong with the
> build. I'd rather drop the entry completely.

I mean ASF is all about releasing sources. That's our primary product.
Everything else is just for users convenience. So the user must be
able to build from our source distribution.

Perhaps we can just disable build-number plugin and have it enabled
for some continuous build profile. Or at least have some 'non-error' like
message in case the product is not build from SVN checkout.

Regards
--
^TM