commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.15
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:18:31 GMT
On 04/02/2013 03:30 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Mladen,
>
> Mladen Turk wrote:

>>> The build-helper plugin sets the properties automatically gathering the
>>> info from a checkout. It is not meant to be set manually.
>>>

>> Anyhow, IMO this metadata is useless.
>> For example my company (and vast majority of other vendors) use source
>> .tar.gz and produces .jar (and signs it for security purposes)
>> This is obviously not done using SVN so we always have a UNKNOWN SCM tag
>> inside manifest. Of course this is usually handled by invoking
>> mvn -Prelease -Dimplementation.build="`date -R`" ...
>>
>> As you can see, makes no sense to have something if its easily overridden,
>> particularly if someone thinks this is some kind of proof the binaries
>> were build from some particular branch or tag.
>
> Which is a valid assumption using Maven and the build-number plugin, since
> in Maven it is all about convention.

I'm not trying to break the build convention.
All I'm saying is that we should build from foo-src.tar.gz rather then from SVN.
This is at least the proof of concept if our users will be able to build
the same stuff. Otherwise make no sense to release sources if for building
one needs to do svn export from ASF site.

And BTW, build number can use multiple sources and its primary usage
is with continuous integration. Our release version is build number in this case.

Regards
--
^TM