commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Benedikt Ritter <benerit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] drop JDK1.3 support, update to 1.5 and bump to 2.0.0
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:25:18 GMT


Am 05.03.2013 um 21:56 schrieb Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org>:

> Thanks both Gary and Sebb,
> 
>> It seems very unlikely that anyone will still be running Java 1.3 or
>> Java 1.4, so the change to 1.5 is not likely to concern users, even
>> though it is a bit of a jump.
>> Is the addition of generics sufficiently significant?
> 
> what you said makes perfectly sense, 2.0.0 is not justified ATM, I
> just had in mind the [digester] case, which had to be an exception,
> once the [pool] case came back in my mind, it reminded me the right
> workflow.
> 
> I don't have enough time to do a major rewrite, I am rolling back the
> version to 1.2.3 and do minor updates.

Sounds better to me too. A 2.0 should ne a major rework of the api, like what we are doing
with beanutils2. At least that is what I would expect as a library user.

Benedikt

> 
> Thanks again,
> -Simo
> 
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/
> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/
> 
> 
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5 March 2013 19:57, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>> Just for the record: I don't intend to do a major rewrite ATM, just
>>>>> update and bugfix.
>>>> 
>>>> So why the change to 2.0?
>>> 
>>> I intend to add at least generics, where possible - in the past, the
>>> introduction of generics in digester justified the update from
>>> digester-1.8 to digester-2.0.
>>> 
>>> Is the generics introduction enough to justify the major bump?
>> 
>> AFAIK, it's not covered by the Commons conventions:
>> 
>> http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html#Major_Releases
>> 
>> I'm not against bumping to 2.0, but I'm not sure it's necessary here.
>> 
>> Does a bump give the right impression to end users?
>> 
>> It seems very unlikely that anyone will still be running Java 1.3 or
>> Java 1.4, so the change to 1.5 is not likely to concern users, even
>> though it is a bit of a jump.
>> Is the addition of generics sufficiently significant?
>> 
>>> TIA,
>>> -Simo
>>> 
>>> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/
>>> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
>>> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
>>> http://www.99soft.org/
>>> 
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org


Mime
View raw message