commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Verifying releases Was: svn commit: r1452037 - /commons/proper/beanutils/trunk/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/beanutils/bugs/Jira422TestCase.java
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 12:55:17 GMT
On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 March 2013 11:56, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
identified exactly what needed to be changed for him to remove the veto.  If the requested
change is made then all should be fine with the world again.  Sure, he could have said all
the same words without the -1 but then it wouldn't be evident that he expected the change
to be made.

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Yes, I agree that it was perhaps unnecessary for the -1, but we had
>>> already agreed some while ago not to use $Date$ and I did not want to
>>> see that creep back in again.
>>
>> No, you miss the point - not "unnecessary" - it was an invalid veto
>> and you should be more circumspect about casting vetos.
>
> I think it's borderline.

No, not even close - it was an invalid veto - which have to be for
valid *technical* reasons.

> I would have voted -1 on the RC, because the tag would not agree with
> the source archive.

That IMO would have been unfortunate - but votes and vetos are two
completely different things - since a veto *forces" a change - whereas
a -1 vote is by majority and therefore doesn't mean the release would
have been stopped.

Niall