commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] drop JDK1.3 support, update to 1.5 and bump to 2.0.0
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:14:02 GMT
On 5 March 2013 18:57, KONTRA, Gergely <pihentagy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Felix,
>>
>> Felix Meschberger wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Sounds great.
>> >
>> > But please, keep in mind to take care of the package export version:
>> > Currently the API is exported at 1.2.1 being the same as the
>> > bundle/library version. If you update the library/bundle to 2.0, make
>> sure
>> > the API export is *not* updated to 2.0, otherwise consumers in OSGi
>> > environments will not be able to use (due to semantic versioning).
>> Thanks.
>>
>> sorry, I don't understand your comment at all. If we use 2.0, it will not
>> be
>> binary compatible and we intent on purpose that this version is not used as
>> automated replacement.
>>
>> - Jörg
>>
> If this is not intended for automated replacement, than why couldn't we
> replace silently the return type of getContentLength method from int to
> long?

That would break binary compatibility.

In which case we need to change the Maven coords and the package name
to avoid classpath problems - unless we are sure that no user software
uses the method whose API has changed. It's OK to break strict binary
compat. for internal methods/classes, but otherwise the package and
Maven changes are required.

Of course that is more trouble for users, so we try to maintain
compat. if possible.