commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [collections] update of groupId / artifactId
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 01:36:02 GMT
On 28 February 2013 17:24, Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidhart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to change the groupId/artifactId very soon to the
> following name (see COLLECTIONS-382): org.apache.commons.collections4
>
> This will also have a big impact on the serialization tests.
>
> Just that everybody is aware whats going to happen.
>
> Thomas
>
> P.S. I know some people may not be happy with this, but I do not see how
> we would be able to ship a backwards compatible version to the 3.x
> branch with the current state of the trunk.

If it really is impossible to maintain backwards compatibility, then
yes, you need to change Maven coordinates AND Java package name. Do
not change one without the other.

This means that end users will have to edit their source.

Not changing package name at the same time as Maven coords will cause
insoluble class loading problems for some applications.