commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] drop JDK1.3 support, update to 1.5 and bump to 2.0.0
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:35:13 GMT
On 5 March 2013 19:57, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Just for the record: I don't intend to do a major rewrite ATM, just
>>> update and bugfix.
>>
>> So why the change to 2.0?
>
> I intend to add at least generics, where possible - in the past, the
> introduction of generics in digester justified the update from
> digester-1.8 to digester-2.0.
>
> Is the generics introduction enough to justify the major bump?

AFAIK, it's not covered by the Commons conventions:

http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html#Major_Releases

I'm not against bumping to 2.0, but I'm not sure it's necessary here.

Does a bump give the right impression to end users?

It seems very unlikely that anyone will still be running Java 1.3 or
Java 1.4, so the change to 1.5 is not likely to concern users, even
though it is a bit of a jump.
Is the addition of generics sufficiently significant?