commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] drop JDK1.3 support, update to 1.5 and bump to 2.0.0
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:34:12 GMT
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org>wrote:

> >> So why the change to 2.0?
> >
> > I intend to add at least generics, where possible - in the past, the
> > introduction of generics in digester justified the update from
> > digester-1.8 to digester-2.0.
> >
> > Is the generics introduction enough to justify the major bump?

No, because of type erasure, you can add generics and be binary compatible.

> Uhm it just came in my mind that [pool] had a different case - @Gary,
> before I start digging in the mail archive, do you remember the
> discussion we had when just increasing the supported JDK version?

The discussion WRT [pool] was of the type 'don't do generics in 1.x because
2.0 is coming out real soon now, it's going to confuse users, no one's
going to support 1.x and 2.x', and so on.

Well, I'm sure glad I put the effort to do 1.6 with generics because there
is still no sign of Pool2 :(

Gary