commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject [all] Source and binary distributions in Maven
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:00:26 GMT
Hi,

I just noticed that for the recent releases the source and binary
packages have been published in the Maven repository. I saw that with
fileupload 1.3 and daemon >= 1.0.11.

Is this a "standard" practice?

I find this very interesting because the sources.jar usually shipped is
great for browsing the code in our IDEs, but it can't really be used to
recompile the project (it doesn't provide the source of the generated
code for example). This is critical for downstream packagers like Debian
that insists in building everything from the source. The buildable
source distribution in Maven is likely to help them greatly.

I would just note that we publish a src.zip and src.tar.gz artifact in
the Maven repository. We should probably publish only one to avoid
overloading the repository.

Emmanuel Bourg