commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Pushing out releases, one component at a time
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2013 05:43:25 GMT
On 3/20/13 10:21 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Bike-shedding can be handled.
>
> Someone volunteers to RM a component. They put what they think needs
> doing for the next release into a list (next JIRA version), and on
> list we vote on which of the proposed components is top of the heap
> for a swarm. Especially useful prior to an ApacheCon. Also useful to
> use IRC as a place to hang out while swarming.
>
> With Lang in mind, the problem is not having an RM. It could have been
> released any time in the last 12 months. So the above doesn't help
> there; but many other components could do with swarming.

It does help in the [lang] case if the beginning is not "I want to
RM [foo]" but "Does anyone want to RM [foo]?" or even just "how
about some foo?"

I agree this is an interesting idea and really just a small step
beyond what we have been doing informally for years.  As our
"subcommunities" have dwindled for many components and the number of
components has grown, getting more than just a lone committer to get
involved in many things has gotten hard.  So I agree it is a good
idea to try to generate little "swarms" as you call them to increase
collaboration.  I think that was sort of Benedikt's point and it is
a good one.

Phil

>>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter