commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [LOGGING] OSGi Meta data is the same for adapters and api jar Was: [VOTE] Release of Commons Logging 1.1.2 based on RC2
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:38:30 GMT
Am 16.03.2013 19:43, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
> Hi Oliver
>

> 2013/3/16 Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de>
>
>> Build works fine on Windows 7 with Java 1.5 and 1.7, artifacts and site
>> look good.
>>
>> One thing I noticed, not sure whether this is actually a problem: The
>> artifacts for adapters and api have the same manifest information as the
>> main jar. Are they intended to be used in an OSGi environment? Could this
>> cause problems?
>>

> Logging can not be used without additional setup in an OSGi environment.
> This is for "historical" reasons. The library was not designed with OSGi in
> mind and making it OSGi ready would require to change packaging. Have a
> look LOGGING-124 [1] for more information about this. I have tried to sum
> up what we have learned about [logging] and OSGi in the wiki (see bottom of
> [2]). Feel free to comment or add something :)

Hm, I have difficulties with understanding both your statement and the
WIKI documentation. IIUC, you basically say that OSGi meta data does not
really matter because [logging] does not work in an OSGi environment
anyway. Wouldn't it then be better to drop it completely?

The WIKI says, it is "difficult to get commons-logging working in OSGi
environments". This is not really helpful. If it is possible to make it
work with OSGi, it should be described how this is done. Otherwise, it
should be clearly stated.

Oliver