commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Scaling arrays
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:47:31 GMT
On 3/15/13 1:21 PM, Becksfort, Jared wrote:

> [...]
a copy of the array or do it in place.  Maybe there can be one method for either way:

>> public static double[] scale(double val, final double[] arr) {
>>         double[] newArr = new double[arr.length];
>>         for (int i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
>>             newArr[i] = arr[i] * val;
>>         }
>>         return newArr;
>>     }
>>
>>     public static void scaleInPlace(double val, final double[] arr) {
>>         for (int i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
>>             arr[i] *= val;
>>         }
>>     }
>>
>>> ...use cases
>> I imagine they are pretty varied.  These methods could be used any time you want
to multiply all elements in an array by a number without writing a loop each time.  I am using
this in some optimization code that I am submitting but figured it would be broadly applicable
enough to just be put in the MathArrays class.

>> Jared

arrays in MathArrays.java or somewhere else.

>>> -          Am I stupidly missing it?
>> Probably not.  Closest thing is probably normalize in MathArrays.
>>> -          Is there a reason it is not in there?
>> Probably no; though you will find that most vector / array algebraic operations are
implemented on the objects in the linear package, rather than directly on double[]s.
>>> -          Shall I add it?
>> +1 to add this
>> Created an issue and submitted patches for MathArrays.java and MathArraysTest.java
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-946
>> Jared
>> Phil
>> What exactly *is* it and what are the use cases?
>>
>> Phil
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jared
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know if these changes might be committed to the repository?  Some upcoming
changes I am submitting for another issue rely on it.  It is not too much trouble for me to
remove the dependencies, but if this is going in then I may as well use it.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-946

Patches just applied.  Many thanks.  One small thing that will make
it easier in the future is to create patches from the top-level
/trunk directory.  Thanks!

Phil