commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1455456 - /commons/proper/fileupload/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/fileupload/servlet/ServletFileUpload.java
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:15:06 GMT
On 13/03/2013 09:12, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Simo,
>
> Simone Tripodi wrote:
>
>> Hi Felix!
>>

>>> See RFC-2616 5.1.1 Method.
>>>

>> the paragraph is indeed clear about that:
>>
>>    The Method  token indicates the method to be performed on the
>>    resource identified by the Request-URI. The method is case-sensitive.
>>
>>        Method         = "OPTIONS"                ; Section 9.2
>>                       | "GET"                    ; Section 9.3
>>                       | "HEAD"                   ; Section 9.4
>>                       | "POST"                   ; Section 9.5
>>                       | "PUT"                    ; Section 9.6
>>                       | "DELETE"                 ; Section 9.7
>>                       | "TRACE"                  ; Section 9.8
>>                       | "CONNECT"                ; Section 9.9
>>                       | extension-method
>>        extension-method = token
>>
>>> So IMHO there is no need for equalsIgnoreCase or toLowerCase at all and
>>> "POST".equals(...) should just do it.
>>>

>> I'm by your side, I switch my opinion to having just equals() here.
>>
>> What other people think?
>
> Follow the RFC.

Indeed.

<quote rfc="2616", section="19.3">
Although this document specifies the requirements for the generation of
HTTP/1.1 messages, not all applications will be correct in their
implementation. We therefore recommend that operational applications be
tolerant of deviations whenever those deviations can be interpreted
unambiguously.
</quote>

Using equalsIgnoreCase() is the better solution in this case.

Mark