commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] releasing 3.2?
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 07:51:02 GMT
Le 11/03/2013 00:47, sebb a écrit :
> On 10 March 2013 16:35, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>> Le 10/03/2013 15:28, Thomas Neidhart a écrit :
>>> On 03/04/2013 01:24 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> I would like to release version 3.2 of [math] soon.
>>>> Any thoughts about it?
>>>
>>> There are 3 Clirr errors:
>>>
>>> Error   Return type of method 'public int log10()' has been changed to
>>> org.apache.commons.math3.dfp.Dfp
>>
>> I know about this one, it was introduced with r1449529. I have explained
>> it here: <http://markmail.org/message/2ytqu4qmtkkp5v4z>.
>>
>> I would in fact consider this change is merely fixing a bug: the log10
>> function returned an int when all other mathematical functions properly
>> returned a Dfp. The change was two-fold: the log10 method returning an
>> int was renamed intLog10, and a proper log10 method was added.
>>
>> I really don't think anybody will be affected by this change, as the
>> class itself is probably very seldom used, and most importantly because
>> despite this weird return type, nobody noticed it and complained about it.
>>
>> So I would consider this incompatible change should be accepted, even in
>> a minor release.
>>
> 
> Sorry, I disagree.
> 
> As far as I can tell, Math 3.1 only included
> 
> public int log10()
> public int log10K()

Dfp also had sqrt, reciprocal, and nextAfter with Dfp return types (as
well as a static copysign with a lower case s and two arguments, not the
classical non-static with upper case S and one argument). The other
functions like cos, sin etc also already existed but as static methods
in DfpMath.

> 
> so it's not entirely surprising that no-one complained about the return type.
> 
> If it is still decided to ignore the incompatibilty, please document
> this clearly in the release notes, and ensure log10K() Javadoc states
> why it has a different return type from all the others.

Yes, I'll do that.

Luc

> 
>>>
>>> Error Method 'protected org.apache.commons.math3.FieldElement[][]
>>> buildArray(org.apache.commons.math3.Field, int, int)' has been removed
>>>
>>> Error Method 'protected org.apache.commons.math3.FieldElement[]
>>> buildArray(org.apache.commons.math3.Field, int)' has been removed
>>> org.apache.commons.math3.linear.AbstractFieldMatrix
>>
>> I missed these ones. The methods have been moved to MathArrays. I'll fix
>> this by putting them back (deprecated) in AbstractFieldMatrix and set
>> them up in order to call the methods from MathArrays.
>>
>> best regards,
>> Luc
>>
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
>>
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org


Mime
View raw message