commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] releasing 3.2?
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:47:13 GMT
On 3/10/13 11:30 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 3/4/13 4:24 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to release version 3.2 of [math] soon.
>> Any thoughts about it?
>>
>> Luc

> Once again, sorry to be late on reviewing stuff.  I think
> "DiscreteDistribution" added in MATH-942 is misnamed.  It should be
> called "FiniteDistribution" as the standard definition (linked in
> the javadoc) applies to distributions such as Poisson and others
> (some of which we already have) that have infinitely many values.
> The javadoc should be clarified to indicate clearly what the class
> actually is.  I am +1 for adding the class, as it is useful to be
> able to construct pmfs from parallel arrays; but the name should be
> changed.  Also, I would drop "DiscreteEmpiricalDistribution" as it
> basically duplicates EmpiricalDistribution.

Sorry - the last sentence is not correct.  What I should have said
is that EmpiricalDistribution should support this functionality.  I
had actually started implementing this, but not proposed / committed
it yet.  You can force this in EmpiricalDistribution now using
singleton bins, but it should be supported directly there.

>  I will make the
> necessary changes if others are OK with them.

Including enhancement to EmpiricalDistribution, most likely > 3.2