commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] releasing 3.2?
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:56:45 GMT
Hi Phil,

Le 10/03/2013 18:28, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> On 3/4/13 4:24 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to release version 3.2 of [math] soon.
>> Any thoughts about it?
>>
>> Luc

> I am sorry I have been very busy recently.  I have a half-finished
> comment on ExtendedFieldElement additions.  The gist of it is do we
> need all of the added stuff actually in the interface.  At first, I
> thought this was just adding exponential field and partial algebraic
> closure, which makes "ExtendedFieldElement" an OK name.  But all of
> the added methods really make it more like "RealFieldElement" or
> somesuch.

I agree. We could rename it RealFieldElement if you prefer.

> The real question is do we really want to add all of the
> methods in the interface.  Since we are about to cut a release, we
> should take a careful look at this.  Sorry to take so long to review.

Yes, I really need all this stuff. The fact is I use all trigonometric
functions in FieldRotation (and to a lesser extend in FieldVector), plus
a few others like sqrt and so on. Once I have all these functions, it
seemed more consistent to also add the remaining ones (and in fact I
will also need the hyperbolic functions later on).

These methods are the ones that urge me to cut a release.

best regards,
Luc