commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svnpubsub for release too ?
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:43:14 GMT
On 27 February 2013 11:13, Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> So this one is mandatory too :-)
>
> This mean checkin bin tar.gz/zip and src tar.gz/zip to
> http://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons (doesn't exist now).
>
> Do you want I take care of that ?

That would be great.

Note that the timing is somewhat trickier than for the website.
In general it is not possible to recreate the contents of the
dist/commons area, so it's vitally important that no-one tries to
upload at the same time as infra do the conversion.

Otherwise files may get lost forever.

When I did JMeter and HttpComponents it took a week or so for the
request to be processed.
So we had to choose a time between releases.

An alternative would be for infra to do the upload and switch:

1) announce intention to convert in a few hours
2) set dist/commons so it cannot be written by commons RMs
3) copy entire dist/commons contents to SVN
4) perform the switch, which will replace the contents of dist/commons
5) announce conversion complete

There's a stage that ought to be done by Commons first:

0) remove any obsolete releases