commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] Plans for BeanUtils and BeanUtils2
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:46:17 GMT
Hi again,

2013/2/22 Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org>

> Hallo Jörg und Bene! :)
>
> > Not sure for this special case either. Actually you're not promoting a
> new
> > component. However, you may look into the archives, IIRC Simo had the
> same
> > case for the last major release of digester.
>
> What I strongly recommend indeed, before starting the rock'n'roll on
> /trunk and /branches, is filling in BU2 almost all the features
> provided by the old BU (what I would keep out in BU2 is the JDBC
> stuff, that today are better handled by whatever ORM/SQL Mapper);
> while we are interested on developing new charming technologies, we
> have to genuinely take care about our users, that have to feel
> motivated on upgrading the library version.

I agree, let's postpone promotion of BU2.

> What ATM BU2 offers is a fluent version of set/get properties APIs;
> converters are missing, Dyna class/beans are missing, we are still too
> far to let our users play with it.

I'm not to sure about DynaBeans. I don't know how they can fit into the new
API. Besides I think that libraries that force users to extend library
classes are dated. But we should discuss this at a later point.

> My proposal is, if Bene wants/has time/... provide a new BU release,
> if users need it, while working on BU2 in the background.

I have some time and I'd like to push out a new release of BU. I had a look
at jira and the project itself yesterday. There is plenty of work to do! :)
I'll comment on this on a separate thread. Your comments are very much
appreciated!

Thanks!
Benedikt