commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbco] update DBCP2 to require JDBC 4.1 (Java 7) WAS svn commit: r1431496 - in /commons/proper/dbcp/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/ src/java/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/cpdsadapter/ src/java/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/datasources/ src/test/org/apache/commons/dbcp2/ src/test/org/apache/commons/dbc...
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:31:45 GMT
On 11 January 2013 02:38, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/13 8:57 AM, markt@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: markt
>> Date: Thu Jan 10 16:57:07 2013
>> New Revision: 1431496

>> Log:
>> Update DBCP2 to require JDBC 4.1 (Java 7) since Java 6 is close to end of life and
a DBCP2 release is still a little way off.

> Probably should have talked about this on the list.  Oh, I guess we
> are.  In that case, here is my +1.

I don't understand the rationale for requiring JDBC 4.1 - does it
offer significant benefits over the previous version?

Or is it that applications written to use the previous version of JDBC
won't even run on Java 7?
I know that the JDBC API has been changed in ways that don't respect
upward compatibilty in the past - has that happened again?

Although Java 6 is close to EOL, I suspect a lot of commercial sites
will remain on it long after EOL.