commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Design discussion
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:10:10 GMT
(From time to time I am going to post an update about the progress I
have made so that everybody who is interested can comment.)

Just finished reworking MultiFileConfiguration to use the new builder
approach. There is now a MultiFileConfigurationBuilder class offering
pretty much the same functionality plus that it can deal with arbitrary
file-based configurations.

The class now also works well together with CombinedConfigurationBuilder
in the same way the old integration was with
DefaultConfigurationBuilder, i.e. a DynamicCombinedConfiguration is used
to ensure that a new CombinedConfiguration is constructed every time the
file pattern changes.

@Ralph: Maybe, as the original author, you find the time to have a short
look to verify that no features were lost?

CombinedConfigurationBuilder should now provide the same functionality
as DefaultConfigurationBuilder. With slight exceptions it can process
the same configuration definition files. So I plan to remove
DefaultConfigurationBuilder shortly.

Oliver

Am 05.01.2013 16:48, schrieb Oliver Heger:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> Am 04.01.2013 17:47, schrieb Jörg Schaible:
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>> Oliver Heger wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> recently I have worked on code regarding the creation of Configuration
>>> objects and reloading support. I have created two Jira tickets [1, 2]
>>> with a description of the problems I see in the current design.
>>>
>>> The code in SVN (mainly in the new builder package) should be sufficient
>>> to get a good impression about the direction I would like to go. It is
>>> far more than a pure proof of concept.
>>>
>>> However, following this road means some significant changes in the
>>> design and in the way client code uses our classes. Therefore, I would
>>> really appreciate feedback from other committers also interested in this
>>> component.
>>>
>>> My main question is: Can we replace the reloading mechanisms available
>>> in 1.x by an approach based on builders as currently implemented in
>>> trunk (e.g. classes
>>> o.a.c.c.builder.ReloadingFileBasedConfigurationBuilder,