commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject [configuration] Design discussion
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 18:00:10 GMT
Hi,

recently I have worked on code regarding the creation of Configuration
objects and reloading support. I have created two Jira tickets [1, 2]
with a description of the problems I see in the current design.

The code in SVN (mainly in the new builder package) should be sufficient
to get a good impression about the direction I would like to go. It is
far more than a pure proof of concept.

However, following this road means some significant changes in the
design and in the way client code uses our classes. Therefore, I would
really appreciate feedback from other committers also interested in this
component.

My main question is: Can we replace the reloading mechanisms available
in 1.x by an approach based on builders as currently implemented in
trunk (e.g. classes
o.a.c.c.builder.ReloadingFileBasedConfigurationBuilder,
o.a.c.c.reloading.ReloadingController)? If the answer is 'yes', we could
go forward and significantly simplify most of the file-based
configuration implementations.

Thanks
Oliver

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONFIGURATION-519