commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] OptimizationData and LinearConstraintSet
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 19:24:26 GMT
> > [...]
> >
> > If we do not have the resources to dig further into the real problem, we can
> > circumscribe it by indicating which interval of epsilon values are
> > considered trustworthy (and declining all resposibility if user try pushing
> > the implementation too far).
>
> Well, I do disagree.
> I do not want to have a situation where users get different results with
> each run. I want to have deterministic behavior for deterministic
> algorithms.

Do you suggest that the JVM algorithm is not deterministic? ;-)

> Yes, there are numerical stability issues, which in this case can be
> treated by relaxing the convergence criteria as the user did.

Then, I propose that lower bound of the convergence criterion be set as a
precondition and the algorithm will be deterministic in a more obvious way.

> Otoh, we should have thorough testing where a permutation of the linear
> constraints could be a useful addition to detect more such issues. For
> such a flexible tool like the SimplexSolver, there will always be
> problems where the solution is difficult to find, and will require some
> tuning. Even octave (using the very good and mature glpk library) did
> not find the optimal solution in this case.

This even further convinces me that we should not change an implementation
detail: such details simply must not have visible side-effects.
It has a visible effect here because the precondition is not satisfied.

Regards,
Gilles