commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RC1] Release Commons Math 3.1.1
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:31:41 GMT
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:10:43AM +0000, Matthew.Webber@Diamond.ac.uk wrote:
> The vote is closed, I think,

It's not yet closed; you are welcome to vote.

> but the following observation might be useful:
>
> We were previously running with an earlier snapshot of 3.1.0 (from
> 2012/10/09).  When we upgraded to 3.1.0 final, the runtime of one of our
> JUnit tests jumped from consistently 12 SECONDS to a *very* long time (I
> killed it after 30 MINUTES).  We didn’t seem to be converging as quickly
> as we were previously ;-)
>
> The developer involved said that there were some issues with the test, but
> never-the-less it was clear that something had changed, and not for the
> better ...
>
> I re-ran the test with 3.1.1 RC, and the runtime is now consistently 27 seconds.
>
> This would probably be more useful if I could tell you what our test code
> did, but anyhow ...

This sounds like the bug which this point release was aimed to fix (needless
creation of a dense matrix). If that was the case in your test, maybe that
implied swapping to disk.

Regards,
Gilles

> Matthew Webber

material, and are for the use of the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended
addressee or an authorised recipient of the addressee please notify us of receipt by returning
the e-mail and do not use, copy, retain, distribute or disclose the information in or attached
to the e-mail.
> Any opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily
of Diamond Light Source Ltd.
> Diamond Light Source Ltd. cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any attachments are free
from viruses and we cannot accept liability for any damage which you may sustain as a result
of software viruses which may be transmitted in or with the message.
> Diamond Light Source Limited (company no. 4375679). Registered in England and Wales with
its registered office at Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire,
OX11 0DE, United Kingdom