commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <>
Subject [Math] Remove "BOBYQAOptimizer"
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 01:28:53 GMT

Cross-posting this message from the the "user" ML:

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 04:23:34PM -0500, wrote:
> I use BOBYQAOptimizer to do optimization for Black Scholes formula.
> maxEval is set to 200000, but I still got TooManyEvaluationsException.
> When it throws exception, I get nothing from the optimizer. CurrentBest is
> good enough, but it is private and there is no interface to get it.
> Generally, how do I handle exception with optimizer? I'd like to use
> currentBest in case of TooManyEvaluationsException.

IMO, it was a bad idea to include "BOBYQAOptimizer" into CM. [For that
matter, any code recognizably ported from other languages (namely FORTRAN
and C) without thorough adapatation to Java has been the source of

If nobody is able to work on "BOBYQAOptimizer" so as to make it a
maintainable and documented code, I request that it be removed from the next
major release (4.0).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message