commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [Math] Remove "BOBYQAOptimizer"
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 01:28:53 GMT
Hello.

Cross-posting this message from the the "user" ML:

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 04:23:34PM -0500, enzhong.fu@pnc.com wrote:
> I use BOBYQAOptimizer to do optimization for Black Scholes formula.
> maxEval is set to 200000, but I still got TooManyEvaluationsException.
> When it throws exception, I get nothing from the optimizer. CurrentBest is
> good enough, but it is private and there is no interface to get it.
> Generally, how do I handle exception with optimizer? I'd like to use
> currentBest in case of TooManyEvaluationsException.

IMO, it was a bad idea to include "BOBYQAOptimizer" into CM. [For that
matter, any code recognizably ported from other languages (namely FORTRAN
and C) without thorough adapatation to Java has been the source of
problems.]

If nobody is able to work on "BOBYQAOptimizer" so as to make it a
maintainable and documented code, I request that it be removed from the next
major release (4.0).

Regards,
Gilles