commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [functor] Remove Functor marker interfaces
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:09:15 GMT
Hi Matt,

Your reasoning sounds right. A use-case for this could be a graphical interface that used
functions, and then you would have to know how many parameters display in an input form. Without
these marker interfaces the code would have to maybe check the class name to guess its arity.

> Would some other nomenclature allow us to serve both purposes?

+1 I'll think about some options for naming these marker interfaces.

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

>________________________________

useful means of recognizing the commonality between the various interfaces depending on the
number of arguments accepted.[1]  I can't say that I have a specific use-case for this, however.
Would some other nomenclature allow us to serve both purposes?

>Matt
>

>[1] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Sanity%20Check%20of%20APIs%2C%20etc. (first item)
>

>On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <kinow@apache.org> wrote:
>
>Hi all,
>>
>>In Haskell, category theory and possibly in other fields and programming languages
a functor has a broader meaning. "Typically, they are structures that "can be mapped over""
[1]. A common functor taught for beginners in Haskell (like me) is a list.

>>So it may be confusing for programmers used with other languages and API's in principle
to see the Functor interface in the project. I tried removing the functor interfaces from
the functor-api project, and after minor changes in the function/predicate/procedure's the
rest of the code compiled with no problem.

>>I think these marker interfaces could be removed. They are not being used anywhere
in the functor-core, but we would have to update the site.