commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <>
Subject [functor] Remove Functor marker interfaces
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:44:12 GMT
Hi all,

In Haskell, category theory and possibly in other fields and programming languages a functor
has a broader meaning. "Typically, they are structures that "can be mapped over"" [1]. A common
functor taught for beginners in Haskell (like me) is a list.

So it may be confusing for programmers used with other languages and API's in principle to
see the Functor interface in the project. I tried removing the functor interfaces from the
functor-api project, and after minor changes in the function/predicate/procedure's the rest
of the code compiled with no problem.

I think these marker interfaces could be removed. They are not being used anywhere in the
functor-core, but we would have to update the site.

Thoughts on this?

Bruno P. Kinoshita

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: