commons-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We will not be able to update our websites...
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:18:06 GMT
2012/12/18 Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>:

> On Dec 18, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> 2012/12/18 Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>:
>>> I still don't understand why you are committing the subprojects to svn.  That
is not required.  Just use stage-deploy to deploy to a local directory on your computer, then
copy that under where you have the production web site checked out and check it in.  See http://wiki.apache.org/logging/ManagingTheWebSite

>> As I can see in section "Managing Sub-project Sites" this doc says
>> "Make sure all that is added to svn and commit it."
>> So subsites must be checked in (here I configure this to be done tru a
>> maven plugin and not manually)
>> Infra will be able to use as production web site:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/trunk/ (or
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/
>> but this one still doesn't exist, I will ping infra on the jira entry
>> for their preference).
>
> Step 6 is referring to checking it in directly to https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/logging/content/
in the subdirectory that is listed in extpaths.txt, not some other subversion location.  If
you look under log4j, for example, you will see a directory for each release and a directory
that is a symlink to the current release (for Log4j 2 the 2.x directory links to log4j-2.0-beta3.

>> So if you want sub-project sites available AFAIK this (check in all
>> content) must be done (or I misunderstand something: -)).
>>
>> Makes sense ?
>
> Not really.
So maybe I misunderstood what you want to do.

What I understood:
1) main site is build from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-site/trunk/
(and marked as cms content so possible to modify files via the cms ui)
technically a buildbot job run the maven build and commit the
generated site to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/trunk/ (this svn path
will serve as infra for web site content staging then live) (note I
did the change for infra requirement on sources structure)
2) due to #1 sub project content (take lang) must be committed to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/trunk/lang
3) as lang is not generated by cms it must be added to extpaths file.
4) committing sub project content will be done using the maven
scm-publish plugin (that's what I started to do)

Regarding your point on versionned  subsites, I don't such structure
here (no commons.a.o/lang-2.x)

So let me know what is your plan ?
I proposed to help but it looks I don't know exactly what is the plan
so that will be a bit complicated for me.

--
Olivier