commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Old to new API ("MultivariateDifferentiable(Vector)Function")
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 17:59:37 GMT
Correctness isn't that hard to get.  You just need to add a bitmap for
exceptional values in all matrices.  This bitmap can be accessed by sparse
operations so that the iteration is across the union of non-zero elements
in the sparse vector/matrix and exception elements in the operand.

That fact is, however, that preserving NaN results in these corner cases is
not normally a huge priority for users.  Deleting all support for sparse
vectors, on the other hand, is a huge impact on utility of commons math.
 To my mind deleting hugely useful functionality in the face of a small
issue is upside down, especially when there is actually a pretty simple fix
available.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM, S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.brisard@m4x.org