commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Request for future releases: kill Cobertura
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:18:21 GMT
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Gilles Sadowski <
gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly so
> for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the fairly
> large number of unit tests).
>
> As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
> several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
> to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
> Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
> from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as
> soon
> as a problem is fixed.
> [I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in the
> release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon (i.e.
> low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]
>
> Do you agree?
> If so, can we change that for Commons Math only, or should this be done at
> the "parent" level? Is is just a matter of adding
>   <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
> in a new profile?

Hi,

The problem with the cobertura tests comes mainly from the performance
tests for FastMath afaik.
We could disable them in the cobertura instrumentation (see
http://mojo.codehaus.org/cobertura-maven-plugin/usage.html).

The functions in question have separate accuracy tests, so the coverage
should not be affected imho.

Thomas