commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Request for future releases: kill Cobertura
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:35:45 GMT
Hi Gilles,

2012/12/20 Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>

> Hello.
>
> The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly so
> for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the fairly
> large number of unit tests).
>
> As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
> several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
> to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
> Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
> from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as
> soon
> as a problem is fixed.
> [I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in the
> release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon (i.e.
> low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]
>
> Do you agree?
> If so, can we change that for Commons Math only, or should this be done at
> the "parent" level? Is is just a matter of adding
>   <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
> in a new profile?
>
> Theoretically, yes [1]. However, when I run mvn site:site
-Dcobertura.skip=true, I get an error at the generation of the reports.
My config is
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 21:16:01+0200)
Java version: 1.7.0_05
Java home: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_05/jre
Default locale: fr_FR, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux" version: "3.6.9-2.fc17.x86_64" arch: "amd64" Family: "unix"

I also tested with maven 3
Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 09:44:56+0100)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.0.4
Java home: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_05/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.6.9-2.fc17.x86_64", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"

and get the same error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.0:site (default-cli) on
project commons-math3: failed to get report for
org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin: Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12:test (default-test) on
project commons-math3: Error occurred in starting fork, check output in log
-> [Help 1]

This is probably a bug in the cobertura plugin, can anyone confirm?

A long time ago, I finally ended up killing --as you suggested-- the
cobertura lines in my local copy of the parent pom. This is uggly, but
works.
I don't know mvn well enough, but maybe we could define cobertura as
optional in the parent pom, and activate it by default in the parent. Would
that be doable (using properties)?

S├ębastien

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/cobertura-maven-plugin/instrument-mojo.html