commons-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Berlin <kber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] major problem with new released version 3.1
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:36:58 GMT

On Dec 28, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Dimitri Pourbaix <pourbaix@astro.ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> I can understand Dimitri's frustration, it seems the optimization
>> framework gets worse with every iteration. However, we should probably
>> look forward and think about how to design it properly instead.
>>
>> +1 - though we have the constraint that we need to maintain backward
>> compatibility until 4.0.  If we decide it is too far gone, we have
>> to drop that and either cut 4.0 "quickly" (will probably be hard for
>> us, given all of the other refactoring we want to get done for 4.0)
>> or make an exception.
>
> I have no frustration wrt CM.  I only think that rather than wanting
> CM to handle everything in every possible way, its developers should
> limit the implementation (e.g. rely upon user's pre-multiplication
> rather than offering a matrix of weights approach) and make sure those
> are intensively tested and bug free.

Maybe it is better if the OO design provided basic optimization functionality with a set of
wrappers that would allow the user to quickly implement a weighted least-squares approach,
instead of complicating the interface to all the solvers every time we want to add another
feature. The weights are not part of the optimization algorithm.