commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <>
Subject [beanutils] Property access on a fluent API
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:06:06 GMT
Hi all,

in [configuration] [beanutils] is used to initialize properties of Java
objects defined in configuration files. This works fine as long as the
objects conform to the Java Beans specification.

Now I would like to initialize other objects, too, which implement a
fluent interface as follows:

class Param {
     public Param setFoo(String value) {

Such properties are not detected by [beanutils] with its standard
mechanism. As a work-around, I currently provide specific BeanInfo
classes for the affected Java objects I want to process. They use a
mechanism which scans a class's methods and adds property descriptors
for set methods even if they have a non-void return type.

Because fluent APIs like that are becoming more and more popular I
wonder whether it would be a good extension for [beanutils] to be more
flexible when searching for property access methods. I guess,
ultimately, I am asking for an extension point where a custom
introspection mechanism can be plugged in so that client code is free to
provide additional property descriptors for its data objects.

Would there be interest to add such a feature to [beanutils]? For
version 1.x or 2.0?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message